Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Meditation Method - it works!

English: Djana leads Tibetam Nadabrahma MeditationImage via WikipediaMeditation and other stress relief techniques have a positive impact in dealing with fibromyalgia, not to mention life in general! As a visual person, I tend to use guided visualization techniques. I run a script in my head and visualize the scene in my mind's eye. A series of influences converged to help me create a specific guided visualization technique that seems to be effective in dealing with my latest fibro flare up.

While visiting my dad over the summer, I found an old copy of The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. I brought it home with me because I've found that positive thoughts have a huge impact on fibromyalgia (not to mention life in general). I put it on my nightstand and forgot all about it.

In the fall, my fibro flared up and I noticed quite a bit of anxiety along with all the familiar symptoms of fatigue, pain, sleep disturbances and depression. I would wake several times a night, and as soon as my conscious brain realized I was awake, I'd be flooded with a wave of anxiety from head to toe. Of course, that just made it all the more difficult to fall back to sleep. No wonder I was waking up exhausted and achy!

One night, I rediscovered The Power of Positive Thinking on my night stand. I read the chapter called "A Peaceful Mind Generates Power." According to Peale, lack of energy can be caused by the accumulation of a lifetime of anxiety and worry. He suggests that everyone take time each day to empty the mind of fears, hates and worries then refill it with peaceful thoughts. During the day, practice thinking peaceful thoughts when those old worries and fears try to edge back inside.

So, here is the technique I created to empty my mind and fill it with peace. Part of the technique was adapted from a book and tape called Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston, which I used during my brain surgery five years ago. I share it with you in hopes that it will help you, too.

Filling The Mind With Peace:

First I put myself in a quiet space, like soaking in a tub. I close my eyes and imagine myself gathering all my worries, anxieties and fears as if each one were a small stone. I collect all the "stones" in a basket until my mind is clear. Then I imagine myself standing on a footbridge over a babbling stream (think Monet's Japanese Bridge at Giverny). I drop each of my "stones" over the bridge into the water. Sometimes I drop them one by one, sometimes I just dump the whole basket of stones at once.
Monet's Image via Wikipedia
Once my mind is clear, I imagine a healing white light coming down from above and entering the top of my head through my crown chakra. The light fills my skull, surrounding my brain in healing white light. It soothes my worries, raises my serotonin levels, aligns and balances all my brain functions. Then I imagine the light going down my neck and spine. It goes down my right shoulder, arm and hand. It goes down my left shoulder, arm and hand. It fills my chest cavity and pelvis. It heals all my organs and internal systems. Then I imagine it flowing down my right leg, pushing all the old, tired energy into my foot and out into the Earth. I imagine the same thing on the left leg.

Now I picture my entire body filled with healing white light. I feel energized, healthy and whole. Every system, every cell in my body is in perfect working order.

I go back to that image periodically during the day to stay peaceful and positive. I've had much less anxiety during the day and especially when I wake at night.

Try it out. It can help even if you don't have fibromyalgia!

Resources:

The Power of Positive Thinking
by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale


Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster: A Guide Of Mind-Body Techniques
by Peggy Huddleston
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment