Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Thursday, November 11, 2010

There is HOPE for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome!

After more than a decade of feeling like I was trapped in a bottomless black hole, I finally found the right place with the right doctors who were able to help me climb into the light. The doctor who first diagnosed me with FMS told me to go home because there was nothing I could do to treat it. What a jerk!

Luckily I didn't believe him. I sought out an assortment of health care practitioners from Eastern to Western and everything in-between. Step by step I made improvements, but I was far from well. Finally a friend gave me a postcard announcing a new clinic called the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center (FFC). It wasn't cheap and they didn't take health care insurance, but I would have paid anything to get my life back. And they delivered!

Unlike most doctors, the staff at the FFC actually knew how to treat FMS and CFS and they attacked it on many fronts. The first priority was to regulate my sleep. I could sleep for 10 hours and wake more exhausted than when I went to bed. Fibromyalgia patients tend to stay in the light Alpha waves of sleep and never get to the deep, restorative Delta wave cycle. With a combination of prescription meds, supplements and a strict sleep hygiene, I began to feel better. It's amazing what a difference a good night's sleep (or week's or month's) can do! They also regulated my thyroid hormones, boosted my immune system and lifted the pain and depression (I called Cymbalta my "happy drug").

Unfortunately, the FFC near me closed just as I was about to reach the maintenance level. They offered a long distance plan at a center three hours away but I never proceeded with that. I've been trying to manage on my own, but it's been difficult.

The good news is that I tracked down the doc who really helped me at the FFC. She's now with the Harvard Vanguard Pain Management Team. I'm hoping to get an appointment with her as soon as my referral goes through.

If any of you out there in the blogosphere suffer from FMS or CFS, I highly recommend that you check out the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center or call 866.443.4276


Good luck and don't give up hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment