Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wishes for a Healthy New Year in 2011

The holidays are over and we can all breath a sigh of relief. In fact, take three deep breaths right now. The holiday season can be filled with fun, family and friends, but it can also be filled with stress and system overload, especially for those of us with fibromyalgia. But it's a new year, a new day. Time to take time for ourselves. Time to get back into an exercise routine, but rest when you need it. Time to be kind to yourself and not expect too much. Time to take it easy, relax. You deserve it!

My New Year's Resolution for 2011:
To be healthy and vibrant and cope easily with life's changes.
Life is full of changes, whether it's menopause, children growing up and going off to college or simply the change of seasons. These changes can cause stress on our bodies which can depress our immune systems, cause fibro flare-ups, sleep disturbances and other unhealthy responses. The trick is to cope with the changes in a way that keeps us healthy and strong.

My strategy to be healthy and vibrant in 2011 is to continue to look for the root of the pain I've been having in various areas of my body. It's a different kind of pain than I've experienced with FM so I think there is a another cause. So far, I've ruled out a recurring brain tumor and consulted with a Neurologist who thought that it was not a neurological problem. Just to be sure, she ordered a few tests to rule out some possibilities. I'm determined to figure out the underlying issue so I can treat it and be healthy and whole.

My strategy to cope easily with life's changes is to deal with past traumas that have created negative belief systems which can cause dis-ease in my body. My therapist recommended a therapy called EMDR, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. By following a flashing light with the eyes, a part of the brain is activated which can process the trauma and reprogram the memory into a positive belief. I'm not sure exactly how it works. In fact, even the experts don't know exactly how it works. But I trust that it will be beneficial to my emotional and physical health.

So, to all my readers out there in cyberspace, I wish you a healthy and happy new year, filled with a renewed passion for life and an ability to cope with all of life's changes coming your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment