Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Sunday, January 9, 2011

FM Support Group

After all these years, I finally found a fibromyalgia support group close enough to make it feasible for me to attend. While there are many forums and information on-line, nothing replaces face-to-face contact.

I met with the group for the first time last week. It was a gratifying and humbling experience. Gratifying to talk to others who understand that the simple act of getting showered and dressed to go out can be completely exhausting. Humbling to hear some of the trials and tribulations others have faced. Many had other serious health issues on top of the fibromyalgia such as migraine headaches, lupus and serious environmental allergies. Many had symptoms I've never experienced like sweating profusely with the slightest exertion or severe Tinnitus, ringing in the ears. It made me grateful for the good health that I do have!

I also met a guy with FM, which was a first for me. There was some discussion among the group about how commonly FM occurs in women vs. men. I've heard around 80% of those affected by FM are women, but the leader of the group insisted it was only about 60%. She said most men don't get diagnosed because they just tough it out. Either way, the majority are women.

I found the support group by searching on-line. There were several sources that listed fibromyalgia support groups based on location. If you're looking for a support group, I suggest using our good friend Google to locate one.

No comments:

Post a Comment