Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release. Joni Mitchell

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dariy-free and Gluten-free for the Holidays

Given my dietary restrictions, I was not looking forward to the holiday season this year. Because of systemic inflammation, one doctor told me not to eat dairy or gluten, both inflammatory foods. And because of systemic candida, another doctor told me not to eat yeast - both baker's yeast in breads and brewer's yeast in beer and wine (who knew wine had yeast in it?). I mean, what's Thanksgiving without stuffing, Christmas/Hanukkah without cookies or New Year's Eve without champagne? I didn't even want to go to any holiday parties and have to pass on all the goodies. Then while I was shopping at my local health food store, Debra's Natural Gourmet, I saw a cookbook called Gluten-Free and Vegan Holidays: Celebrating the Year with Simple, Satisfying Recipes and Menus by Jennifer Katzinger. I decided that  I'd have to make and bring my own goodies so that I could partake in the bounty of the holidays and not feel deprived.

For Thanksgiving I made Katzinger's Apple Tart using almond meal and teff flour for the crust and coconut milk in the apple filling. I served it ala mode with coconut milk ice cream while everyone else dined on spice cake, pumpkin pie and my daughter's pumpkin bread pudding with homemade rum-infused whipped cream. The tart wasn't too bad, although the crust was very crumbly and the filling was not sweet enough for my taste with no added sugar. It was hard to sit at the table with everyone else raving about the pumpkin bread pudding - one of my favorite desserts. However, I surely didn't starve! To accommodate my needs, the hosts put aside the potatoes and squash before adding butter and milk and made the gravy with corn starch. I substituted quinoa for the stuffing, which was tasty with the gravy on top. And of course, the turkey!

I thought about skipping my writer's critique group annual holiday party with every kind of conceivable holiday cookies and baked goods, but I think I'll bring a few of the gluten-free vegan cookies in Katzinger's cookbook. She even includes a latke recipe for Hanukkah and a matzoh ball recipe for Passover. The trick is to feel included in the abundance of the holidays while still eating in a way that will keep me healthy.

If any of you have a favorite gluten-free, dairy-free holiday recipe, please share it with us!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. This is nice article and great blog.Its really delicious recipe ,thanks for sharing this recipe......
    Gluten Free Recipes

    ReplyDelete