|Image via Wikipedia|
|Before and after hCG!|
How does hCG work? Dr. A.T.W. Simeon searched for the answer to obesity in the 1950's and discovered the use of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced in large quantities in pregnancy. The hCG hormone uses the body's abnormal, or adipose, fat reserves as fuel to protect the health of the growing fetus. Combined with the Simeon Protocol, hCG burns the body's abnormal fat deposits and suppresses the appetite to control hunger for both men and women. Even though the protocol calls for a very low caloric intake, the use of the abnormal fat reserves gives the body all the nutrients and fuel that it needs. With other low calorie diets, the body will go to the normal fat reserves first and only start to burn the abnormal, or storage fat, once the normal fat is gone, giving the dieter a gaunt, drawn look. My mentor, Jonathan Glass, said that you will lose weight "from the inside out" as the hCG first burns the long-term abnormal fat first and then the normal fat. Good-bye belly! Good-bye hips! Good-bye thighs!
Why did Dr. Simeon call it a cure for obesity? If the protocol is strictly followed, it will reset the body's "set-point" and retrain your brain to respond to your body's hunger response correctly. The hypothalamus is called the master gland and controls the body's nervous system and endocrine system. One of the many things that the hypothalamus controls is metabolism and food intake. It tries to keep the body stable and establishes a set-point for weight. If the hypothalamus is not working properly, hunger rises, cravings ensue, more fat is stored and a higher set-point is established. Often it feels impossible to get below that higher set point no matter what diet or exercise routine is followed. The Simeon Protocol lowers the body's set-point and re-trains the brain to keep it there.
|Image via Wikipedia|
|Structure of Leptin|
What is the Simeon Protocol? There are four phases to the protocol. Phase 1 and 2 include hCG drops three times a day. Do not eat or drink for 15 minutes before drops. Tap bottle on palm 10 times then place 8 to 10 drops under the tongue and hold it there for two to five minutes. Have nothing to eat or drink for 20 minutes after drops.
Phase 1: Load Days - the first two days are called "load" days. Start taking the homeopathic hCG drops three times a day and gorge on healthy fats such as avocado, coconut oil, nuts, olives, cheese etc. Eat as much as you can, but try to avoid too much sugar. This is the last hurrah!
Phase 2: VLCD - very low calorie diet (500 calories/day). Follow phase 2 for a minimum of 28 days and a maximum of 40 days. This is the most difficult and most dramatic phase of the program. Continue taking the hCG drops three times a day. Drink lots of water (half your body weight in ounces) and eat limited protein, fruit and vegetables. NO FAT AT ALL! This is very important. The goal is to have the hCG target abnormal fat stores in the body and not dietary fat. Everything consumed must be organic! Do not consume the same protein, vegetable or fruit more than once a day. The only exception to that rule is an apple, which can be eaten more than once per day. You must weigh yourself every day and no alcohol!
- Breakfast: tea or coffee. One tablespoon per day of skim milk or soy milk may be used per day. No artificial sweeteners - stevia or xylitol may be used for sweetening. (I often eat the fruit portion from lunch for my breakfast and I use the fruit portion from dinner as dessert later in the evening.)
- Lunch and Dinner: One serving protein, fruit and vegetable.
- Protein: (3.5 oz raw; 3.0 oz cooked) including grass-fed beef, veal, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab or shrimp. Vegetarians may use whey powder or eggs. No other proteins allowed!
- Fruit: one apple, one orange, half grapefruit, handful of strawberries. No other fruits!
- Vegetables: (2 cups) radishes, cucumbers, celery, fennel, cabbage, onions, spinach, lettuce, chard, asparagus, beet greens, tomatoes (1 cup).
- Condiments: as much garlic and spices as you want, apple cider vinegar, sugar-free mustard
- Stop the hCG drops during the last two days of the VLCD.
- Once you have maintained your weight for three weeks, you can either:
- go onto Phase 4 or
- if you have more weight to loose, you can go back to Phase 2.